Monday, June 19, 2006

On The Road

It's been nearly 2 weeks since I passed my bike test. It was a strange time - quite intense. Looking back now I can see that I made it a lot harder for myself than it needed to be. I built it up and made myself nervous. I created extra problems
I really didn't need - If I'd failed again, it would have been my own fault.
My instructor was excellent and the examiner was also great and tried to put me at ease. The test itself I have to admit, wasn't all that hard.
It's really just a matter of riding around sensibly for half and hour, paying attention to the laws of the road.
I'm sure with good training, virtually anyone could pass in a week from scratch.
It was a strange day. I re-took the test on the same day of the week - Wednesday, same time - 1.33pm. Beforehand, I ate the same meal in the same cafe with the same instructor and other learner who had failed straight after me previously. I had the same examiner and rode the same route. I rode pretty much the same and so when I was standing in the room with the examiner, after the test, waiting to hear the result, I couldn't imagine hearing anything else other than, "I'm sorry, you haven't passed...".
I was amazed and relieved to pass. Happy that it was over and I could get on with the real part of learning to ride well - actually doing it, out on the road, on my own, every day.

4 Comments:

At 6:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Johnny, just found your very interesting web site and read the lot. I`ve had an almost similar experience except I`m 57 and haven`t ridden a bike for 27 years (250 Honda Enduro). I took lessons etc in April, passed test in May and now have Honda Deauville (650) which is brilliant- done 500 miles in 2 weeks, although I still have similar misgivings. Thanks for all.

 
At 9:14 am, Blogger john h said...

Hi Allan, thanks for your comments and congratulations on your test.
I'm now looking for a new bike. It's hard because I love my old XL125 and would really like something of a similar age - mid-70's. I'm wavering a bit on the idea of a BMW as I keep seeing really nice old Hondas and Kawasakis on ebay! Good luck!

 
At 6:21 pm, Blogger Unkle Rupert said...

Congrats Johnny :O)

 
At 6:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great stuff getting a bike licence... but it's not always easy to get up the courage to go for it!
I've just started a learner motorcycle rider blog that documents the experiences of a new learner rider on the way to getting their full motorcycle licence in Australia. Hope you find it good reading!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home