Sunday, May 14, 2006

Training Day

Saturday was my first day of training. I started out on my bike and moved onto a Kawasaki 500. The difference was interesting to say the least. The Kawasaki goes about twice as fast, it has excellent brakes, electric start, it doesn't stall at every junction, in fact it's really nice and easy to ride. Getting back on my 30 year old Honda XL125 4 hours later felt very strange - the riding position is so different, it's slow and noisy, but it does have a lot of character. I think that's really what I like about old bikes and cars.
The training itself was good. Hard work but good. It's mentally draining to have to concentrate for that amount of time and have someone in your ear telling you whenever you make a mistake, and I made plenty.
We did a lot of miles, in on different types of roads - country lanes with horses, duel carriageways and busy towns. I felt pretty disheartened at times - I can't see how I'll be able to ride to the required standard on Wednesday, how I won't mess it up.
My instructor seems to think I'm doing ok - I have two more full days, then a half day and test.
I know I need to try to relax and enjoy it, but that's easier said than done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home